Skip to main content

The One and Only Yoko Shibui

http://www.business-i.jp/news/sou-page/news/200808020012a.nwc

translated by Brett Larner and Mika Tokairin

Beijing Olympics Women's 10000 m Team Member Yoko Shibui

"I Genuinely Want to Win"

She's had many great records and many failures, but it's all in the past for Yoko Shibui. It's not that she won a spot on the Beijing Olympics women's 10000 m team but rather that she finally found the true athlete's state of mind. "I am hungry to win these days. This year especially I've found myself always thinking, 'I want to win, I want to win, I want to win!' People probably think I've always been a passionate person, but it's not true. I think that I probably didn't use to really have the drive to win, but now I do. This means that in Beijing I will be shooting to take down some big names."

Here in front of me is the newborn Shibui. What gets her going is not the existence of rivals or the reputations of others. It's beating herself, a new state of mind in which she has just arrived. "So...I'm really looking forward to the Beijing Olympics. If I have a 100% performance I'm sure something will come out of it."

What changed Shibui? "Well, that, yeah. The marathon I, you know, did. After that I started to think about my career and how much longer I can be a competitive athlete, and I began to understand some things about what's left for me. If I hadn't experienced that race I wouldn't be here. Everything started after Tokyo last November."

Shibui is no longer the wild and naive girl of old. Now she's got the heart of a mature woman athlete. In the past, she always failed in important competitions. In the Athens Olympics selection race, the 2004 Osaka International Women's Marathon, she was 9th, and in 2007 at the selection race for the Osaka World Track and Field Championships, also held at the Osaka International Women's Marathon, she was 10th. The bottom came at the 2007 Tokyo International Women's Marathon Shibui was supposed to run a much-anticipated duel against Mizuki Noguchi, but just before the 30 km she fell away from the lead pack and finished in 7th with a personal worst time, ending her hopes to run in the Beijing Olympics as a marathoner. "That loss changed everything."

In June she won the Japanese National Track and Field Championships 10000 m, sealing her ticket to Beijing. In Kunming, China, Shibui is now in the last phase of her training for the 10000 m. She will go to Beijing on the 13th. "For me, 10000 m is just a point along the way in training for the marathon, but I always feel like I want to become a runner who can be competitive at both."

Shibui's training has included running all-out on a 100 m downhill cross-country course to learn how to improve her leg turnover. I asked her to show me her secret weapon, her legs. "No, no, no, no! I don't have much confidence about my body. I have a huge body self-image complex," she laughed as she pulled her legs up against her body and hid them with her arms.

Over a hundred of Shibui`s relatives, friends and colleagues will be in Beijing to support her. Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijo president Yoshiaki Hata commented, "I want to see Shibui finish shouting with enthusiasm." Shibui herself offered her vision of the Beijing 10000 m. "In the race I want the god of track and field to come to me." Under the Beijing sky, the newly grown-up Shibui is sure to get her medal.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

World Championships Medalist Racewalking Coach Mizuho Sakai Recognized With Highest Coaching Honor

The 2023 Mizuno Sports Mentor Awards recognizing excellence in coaching were held Apr. 23 in Tokyo. Toyo University assistant coach and race walking coach Mizuho Sakai was given a gold award, the program's highest honor, and expressed her thanks and joy in a speech at the award ceremony. The coach of 2023 Budapest World Championships men's 35 km race walk bronze medalist Masatora Kawano , Sakai said, "This is an incredible honor and I'm truly grateful. As a child I wanted to be in the sporting world and I've spent my life in that world. My end goal was always to play a supporting role for other athletes, so I'm honored to be recognized in this way." Sakai's husband Toshiyuki Sakai , head coach of Toyo's three-time Hakone Ekiden champion team, attended the awards gala with her and was also introduced to the audience. After bowing he took a seat in front of her and watched with warmth as she received recognition for her outstanding work. The Mizun

Hirabayashi Runs PB at Shanghai Half, WR Holder Nakata Dominates Fuji Five Lakes - Weekend Road Roundup

Returning to the roads after his 2:06:18 win at February's Osaka Marathon, Kiyoto Hirabayashi (Koku Gakuin University) took 5th at Sunday's Shanghai Half Marathon in a PB 1:01:23, just under a minute behind winner Roncer Kipkorir Konga (Kenya) who clocked a CR 1:00:29. After inexplicably running the equivalent of a sub-59 half marathon to win the Hakone Ekiden's Third Stage, Aoi Ota (Aoyama Gakuin Univ.) was back to running performances consistent with his other PBs with a 1:02:30 for 8th. His AGU teammate Kyosuke Hiramatsu was 10th in 1:04:00. Women's winner Magdalena Shauri (Tanzania) also set a new CR in 1:09:57. Aoyama Gakuin runners took the top four spots in the men's half marathon at the Aomori Sakura Marathon , with Hakone alternate Kosei Shiraishi getting the win in 1:04:32 and B-team members Shunto Hamakawa and Kei Kitamura 2nd and 3rd in 1:04:45 and 1:04:48. Club runners took the other division titles, Hina Shinozaki winning the women's half

The Ivy League at the Izumo Ekiden in Review

Last week I was contacted by Will Geiken , who I'd met years ago when he was a part of the Ivy League Select Team at the Izumo Ekiden . He was looking for historical results from Izumo and lists of past team members, and I was able to put together a pretty much complete history, only missing the alternates from 1998 to 2010 and a little shaky on the reverse transliterations of some of the names from katakana back into the Western alphabet for the same years. Feel free to send corrections or additions to alternate lists. It's interesting to go back and see some names that went on to be familiar, to see the people who made an impact like Princeton's Paul Morrison , Cornell's Max King , Stanford's Brendan Gregg in one of the years the team opened up beyond the Ivy League, Cornell's Ben de Haan , Princeton's Matt McDonald , and Harvard's Hugo Milner last year, and some of the people who struggled with the format. 1998 Team: 15th of 21 overall, 2:14:10 (43